Friday, July 25, 2008

I had a bad day

Recently i'm working on Honda Account on their invitation cards. After some chaotic moments of amendments, and printing out proofs for the invitation cards, the files are ready to be send out to printer.

By right, before files to be sent out to printer, it has to be proof check by art director, copywriter, the account manager and also the clients to reassure there are no mistakes. Even myself have to triple check the files, making sure it is the right one. If anything goes wrong, normally designers will get the blame as we are the one who did the artwork.

So, after sending out the files last 2 days, my AD got a call from the printer this morning. The printer asked about the dates in the invitation cards. As i'm doing 2 different versions for customers and media side, both RSVP dates are different. I started panicking after my AD asked me about it. Right away check my files again. Yeah, it has 2 different dates. OMG. I'm dead this time. How could this happen to me? I called the printer again to see what can be done.

Me: Hello Ms. XXX, this is Evonne calling from XXX. Just wanna check about the invitation card's date.

Printer: There's nothing can be done already now! Everything has been printed and we are rushing to courier it right now! (in a very angry tone)

Evonne: I'm sorry about this. I'll check with my AD and see what can be done on our side. Thanks, bye.

Hung up...... tut tut tut tut....

I tried explaining to my AD. B4 the files were sent out, the account manager (Mr. L) did came to my place and did the amendments himself. I wasn't sure what he amended in my files also. I did not jump to the conclusion n blame it all to Mr. L before i get the confirmation abt the dates error.

But what's weird is, isn't all this supposed to be checked thoroughly before sending out to the printer?


Luckily Mr. AD sided me. Same goes the rest in the Creative group. According to my other colleagues, Mr. L already well known for his unorganized work, and blaming other people for his own fault. Not sure how true is this but i just really wanna find out which is really the right date.

While all these were happening, the Mr. L wasn't in the office.

Just right after lunch, Mr. L came to my place.

Mr. L: Evonne, can i talk to you?

Me: Yeah, i know its about the card isnt it? Is it about the dates?

Mr. L: The dates are correct. It's different for both cards.

phewwww.....

Mr. L: But there's another minor mistake u've done. Can u open the file that i've gave u?

shit.... panic... stress.... sighs...

Mr. L :Look at this, u typed it wrongly. Instead of Mr., u typed in Ms. The file that i gave u, its the right one. I did not change this one. I'm not blaming you here Evonne. I just wanna let u know. Luckily the client did not say anything about this. We've already printed out stickers to paste on it.

Speechlesss.........................

I reckon Mr. L is trying to defend himself. It's really strange. How could this be wrong. I just copy and paste from the files he gave me earlier. But again, remember i said about the proof check? I admit i made the mistake, but i've reminded Mr. L to check the spelling million times. Plus i've already printed out so many copies, y no one spotted my mistake? It's unfair if i were the only one to be blamed on right?

No choice but to apologize to Mr. L, as it is still my mistake. I told my AD the whole story about this. He did not blame on me as he also knew what Mr. L is like.

Sigh.BIG lesson learn. I had a bad day @ work today. :(

No comments: